A Senior Research and Development Chemist is an experienced researcher/formulator who combines technical knowledge and innovation when formulating a variety of personal care products, cosmetics and OTC (lip balms and sunscreens) from concept to finished product based on customers’ requests. Shows the ability to look at different brands’ gaps and develop products based on those gaps or customer specification. The Senior R&D Chemist II demonstrates strong leadership and communication skills that are utilized within the organization and with external customers.
- Responsible for initiating project concepts, developing objectives, planning and assigning priorities, and completing multiple projects under minimal supervision.
- Independently investigate/resolve research problems/scale up issues.
- Ability to communicate with customers on technical aspects as well as regulatory and performance.
- Utilize and follow relevant legal requirements, regulations and product development standards.
- Determine and perform appropriate cost reductions (raw materials).
- Scale-up of approved formulations, to include identification of critical process variables.
- Ability to troubleshoot production issues and address batch variations.
- Set product specifications and write compounding procedures.
- Supervise and coordinate pilot batches.
- Provide paperwork for new formula and new raw materials to operations.
- Provide specifications and other information to QC to receive and test new ingredients and finished goods.
- Test stabilities and monitor testing statuses.
- Research product formulations and properties and interactions of raw materials.
- Vendor research for raw materials.
- Compose and check ingredient lists, QQs and artwork Interpret results of laboratory findings and assess risks involved in new products and communicate findings to sales and upper management.
- Remain up to date and current on trends in the retail market and trends on formulations materials, ingredients, etc.
- Training and supervising lab staff (permanent and temporary).
- Notebook documentation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of laboratory equipment set-up and operation, common laboratory techniques and safe chemical handling
- Advanced formulation skills and technical knowledge
- Thorough understanding of FDA regulations and cGMP’s
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- High level of initiative, innovation, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally & at all levels within the organization including senior leadership
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and manage deadlines accordingly.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with clients and vendors
- Exceptional attention to detail and high level of accuracy & organization
- Ability to work as part of a team and excel independently in fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing policies and procedures
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
Required Education and Experience
- BS in Chemistry, Cosmetic Science, Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related sciences with 8+ years of formulating personal care products
- -OR- advanced degree in cosmetic chemistry and more than 6 years’ experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry, Cosmetic Science, Chemical Engineering or related field 10+ years of experience in formulation of personal care products
Bell International Laboratories provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.